Skip to main content

Put me to sleep


Sing me a song and put me to sleep? Bury my fears deep into the ground and pull me from this darkness. These hurt like glass buried deep into my flesh, these little memories. They keep coming back haunting me every night. Memories no less than demons, laughing at my misery while I struggle to breathe in my sleep. It amuses them, my sufferings. It gives them pleasure and why should it not? Maybe I've caused too much pain to others and it is all coming back to me. It's hunting me down.

Sing me a song and put me to sleep? Save me from ruining the tiniest bit of sanity I have left, somewhere inside me. Push these memories far away and hide me somewhere safe where they can't find me. Where they can't bring out the worst in me. I've been looking too much into the fears of others that I had forgotten I had mine too. I did not realize until they found me, all at once. I'd hide under my indifference but I am afraid it left me too. 

The door creaked in it's lowest voice to tell her she had a visitor. Like every night her mother came in to kiss her goodnight and like every night in her recent and distant memories she pretended she was sleeping. She had her face buried inside the pillow to not let her mother hear her crying. Her mother sat beside her and put the blanket over her. She bend down and kissed her forehead. "It'll be fine, sweetheart. Try sleeping on it.", she whispered in her ear and left.

Moments later she felt as if the world went dead. Everything felt so disturbingly quiet. The silence tore her apart. The thought of having a storm inside of her that broke her down and such tranquility right outside her could not make peace with her conscience. She raised her head slightly and stared into the stillness. 

Please sing me a song and put me to sleep? Please sing me a song and take me away?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When the stars gazed back at us.

  When the stars gazed back at us,  it was not about beginnings; it was about recognition. About that rare, almost fleeting moment when the universe did not feel distant or indifferent, but attentive, almost complicit. ;) I woke up remembering you, All your words, old and new. Of dreams I hold of lands unseen, As if your name’s the hum I’ve known, your face the only thing I’ve seen. Even the sun bears your name,  Without you, rain feels strangely tame. They may call me mad, broken, or even wrongly built, I’d still reduce to dust all that may keep us apart, without remorse or even a speck of guilt. You and me, we took an oath, To be each other’s home through misery and gloat. If I were to do it all over again, I would, of course, I would, Wouldn't change a thing even if I could. I’ve held you through your sin, you’ve seen me through my crime Miles and miles I’ve carried all your shadows; you have borne witness to mine.  Across all lives, though you forg...

Miss you like an old song.

Somewhere between an old radio song, a cold vanilla latte, and emotional unemployment, I wrote  (blows raspberries )  THIS?!  *insert debating one’s own sanity [poet really only means the curtains are blue] You know those people who leave so quietly that even silence starts sounding like them after a point? Excruciating enough  that some nights, memory shows up disguised as curiosity and suddenly you’re three hours deep into old interviews, random reddit  ravel   (wtf is even that?!) , blurry photographs, and strangers loving/hating someone like they discovered them first.  And somehow, against all logic, one might still end up offended… as if the world was supposed to know that your silence around them was sacred. When they sometimes wanna make you drag out of the perfectly made (very very comfortable) cocoon then climb on top of that rooftop yell (softly though) for them to bloody get out of their head, how they’ve stretched out the liberty by far m...

Aadat.

Khaama-khaayii kaisi ye  aadat , Chalo maana jaayaz tumhari shiqayat. Kabhi baaton ka rang udh jaaye, kabhi khamoshi ruk jaaye, Dil ke pardon ke beech koi purani dhoop thodi der tik jaaye. Kabhi tumhari parwah hawa ki tarah aakar guzri, par kaha nahi, Jhaank ke jab tumne apne dill ko dhoonda, tumhe vo mere paas mila, vahan nahi. Masle toh the, par jaise sirhaane se khud hi phisal gaye, Sargoshii ke taar bhi ek din be-sabab sisak gaye. Mohabbat nahi, par ek narm si hasrat tumhari reh gayi, Guftugu nahi, par ek halki si mehfil dil mein beh gayi. Sabr aur khair tera aqsar kare zikr, Qissa na bhi sunau intezaar ka, mujhe phir bhi rahegi thodi fikr. Na hi jaan aur na koi pehchaan, toh bewajah yeh kaisi shiqayat? Fitoor mera tum toh nahi, phir bhi kaisi ye  aadat ?